We are currently working closely with Colin Bussey fromerly Executive Chef at Gleneagles Hotel to develop new and exciting products.... More news on that soon!
Overlooking Loch Rannoch in the heart of Highland Perthshire, Rannoch Smokery is surrounded by rugged and unforgiving hill landscapes, the natural habitat of red deer which gives origin to our business. Rannoch Smokery is a company born out of bad weather and has grown and developed on the strength of the Barclay family's passion and creative thinking. Leo Barclay started the company in the 1980s following a bad winter which prevented him getting his deer cull to market. A natural entrepreneur, he brined the meat in a bath tub before slowly smoking it in a home-made smoker in the back garden, creating the first ever Rannoch Smokery Smoked Venison.
Twenty one years on, and after a significant level of investment in both new premises and state-of-the-art technology systems, the flagship smoked venison product sits proudly alongside many others including smoked pheasant, smoked lamb, smoked chicken, smoked beef, smoked goose and smoked duck many of which have won Great Taste Awards , the seal of quality food and drink. We currently supply a wide number of foodservice customers in the UK and in other parts of Europe.
What's unique and special about our products?
Rannoch Smokery is a dedicated meat and game smoker passionate about quality and producing the best smoked meats from where possible, sustainable Scottish sources. Our venison is wild - the ultimate free-range food with a visible chain of preparation from hillside to smokery. Although we would like to be able to source all our products in this way it is sometimes necessary, in order to get the right quality specification, that we look further afield. As a result our duck and goose breasts are currently sourced from fully approved and accredited suppliers in France.
In a craft-based artisan orientated industry we are proud to be able to provide the highest standards of production in order to satisfy European food safety legislation and national company standards - we currently hold a Grade A BRC Global Standard - Food.
* Our products are supplied chilled in order to maintain high levels of quality from dispatch to delivery.
* Natural smoking is one of the oldest ways known to man to preserve food. Our products therefore have a long natural shelf life achieved without the addition of chemical preservatives.
* For a business viewed largely as 'cottage industry' we have a large production-run capacity should it be required yet we are small enough to be fully flexible with regards to production criteria.
* We can package according to client request subject to volume and timeliness of enquiry.
* We are a family owned and operated company. We care.
How will using Rannoch Smokery products give your business a commercial advantage?
* Our products are recognised quality products that command a premium price.
* Many of our products such as venison are pre-sliced and readily lend themselves to portion control, providing minimum wastage and a product which is easy to work with - as an example these smoked meats are ideal for use in banqueting situations.
* Our products are "ready to serve" and require minimal labour input from the caterer.
* A diverse, and ever-evolving product range ensures that there are always opportunities to further develop menus to reflect changing customers tastes throughout the year.
* Due to the natural process of smoking, our products have long natural shelf life reducing risk of spoilage and waste.
* Our products adhere to standards of animal welfare (which are highlighted through our audit procedure).
Menu Planning - some example applications.
The following are some examples from our recipe library. If you don't see anything that takes your fancy please call us we have many, many more and would be delighted to supply them on request.
Luxury Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Goose on Toasted Brioche
Smoked Chicken Club Sandwich
Smoked Cheese and Avocado Quesadilla
Smoked Duck Breast Noodle Bowls
Smoked Chicken Pate
Bang Bang Chicken
Cold Smoked Venison with Rocket and Goats Cheese
Halloumi and Smoked Venison
Smoked Duck with Black Pudding and Goats Cheese
Salad of Smoked Chicken with Watercress, Ricotta and Fresh Figs
Smoked Chicken, Beetroot and Orange salad
Smoked Goose and Papaya salad
Smoked Venison and Peppered Pear salad
Venison & Peppered pear Salad Smoked Duck, Fig and Mozzarella salad with Orange dressing
Kedgeree of Smoked Goose and Broccoli
Finger Buffets/Bar food/Syndicate room food
Smoked Duck Chinese Rolls
Smoked Venison, Mozzarella and Roasted Peppers Ciabatta
Smoked Carpaccio and Horseradish Crostini
Smoked Goose and Apple Sandwich with Juniper Mayonnaise and Watercress
Baby Potatoes with Smoked Lamb and Mint
Pasta Based Dishes
Duck Spring Rolls
Smoked Chicken Penne with Broad Beans and Pesto
Smoked Chicken Tagliatelle with Char grilled peppers and Asparagus
Mozzarella Glazed Penne with Smoked Goose, Tomato and Basil
Spaghetti with Smoked Carpaccio, Cherry Tomatoes and Chilli
Smoked Venison Penne with Mushrooms
Due to our production flexibility, we are able to smoke all kinds of items dependant upon demand. We currently smoke a range of cheeses as well as garlic bulbs and many different types of meats and poultry.
We are constantly developing new products and are pleased to work with hospitality groups or manufacturers to bring product to market.
Dedicated sales support
We have sales resource specifically dedicated to the foodservice market in order to support and develop our mutual business. If you wish to discuss opportunities within the foodservice sector please contact :
Telephone (direct) : 01796 471846
Mobile : 07786 562805 or
Email : Contact us